Ready-cooked meal, processed and canned. Does not contain anything other than vegetarian-suitable ingredients. Does not contain any animal products, alcohol nor alcohol-based products, nor products prone to fermentation. Provides an alternative to a meal that could be eaten without being warmed-up. Use of canned food should be left a last resort, and the provision of more "normal foods" should be encouraged.
In the specification, the stability test will indicate if the preservation has been performed properly and if the tin is not overfilled.
Overfilled tins may burst with heat during storage or transport. The pressure in a preserved tin is normally nil or negative. A pressure increase is a sign of microbiological growth or an overfilled tin.
Specifications vary with national regulations. Here below, we give our most commonly used specifications.
Refer to HQ when offered specifications are different from our standard specifications. It will need to be approved by a food specialist.
Importation of food is always subject to acceptance from the national authorities, based on their national specifications, check these specifications before purchasing.
Impact on the local, national, or regional market availability and prices should be carefully looked at before purchasing large quantities.
For all aspects of the product, unless described otherwise here below, the standard of Codex Alimentarius last edition applies, including the packaging.
- - Product must be fit for human consumption and be of sound, fair and marketable quality.
- - For laboratory test, provide minimum 5 tins per batch.
READY MEAL, canned, long preservation
Only vegetarian-suitable ingredients. No animal products. No alcohol nor alcohol-based products, nor products prone to fermentation.
No pressure increase, no pH difference more than 0.5, no microbiological growth after 7 days under ISO7218.
- Shelf live minimum 3 years from manufacturing date.
- Production date less than 1 year at date of delivery.
- "Use by date" 5 years from date of manufacture and a minimum of 3 years after the date of delivery.
- Analysis of contaminants must state that the product is "fit for human consumption".
Food grade can of net weight of 200g or 500g hermetically sealed, showing no sign of corrosion at the welded joints or inside, and no deformation.
Can to offer easy opening system, or to be delivered with folded can opener.
In export carton boxes of double corrugation of 10kg net.
Cartons to resist without any damage 6m high stacking for 6 months without deterioration, and a minimum of 10 manual handlings.
The sealing of the outer box is with glue, 50mm tape or strapping, capable of resisting a tropical climate (humidity and sunshine) for six months. Tape overlaps of 10cm minimum.
As per Codex STAN 1.
Each can to be marked with a label showing:
- Name of the product
- Name of the manufacturer
- List of ingredients
- List of nutritional values
- Lot/Batch identification (can be date of production if day is included)
- Free from culturally restricted components
- Net content weight in g
- Date of production printed or stamped on the can
- Date of minimum durability, declared as "best before" printed or stamped on the can
Each carton box, same as above plus number of pieces per box.
Minimum documentation required for quality assurance from the supplier.
To be established by an official body:
- Certificate of inspection
- Health Certificate
- Weight and Quality Certificate
- Non-radioactivity Certificate
Other documentation needs to be provided according to the purchase agreement.